Friday, April 20, 2018

NREB’s Layug resigns post


By Lenie Lectura - April 19, 2018

Energy Secretary Alfonso G. Cusi has announced the resignation of National Renewable Energy Board (NREB)  Chairman Jose M. Layug Jr.
NREB is the advisory body tasked by the law to recommend policies, rules and standards to govern the implementation of the law, which granted fiscal and nonfiscal incentives to renewable-energy projects.
“When he came in, he said he would stay for only a year. In fairness, I invited him to join the DOE [Department of Energy] if he was interested,” Cusi said.
Sought for comment, Layug said: “I resigned because of  health reasons. I also informed the Secretary that I have resigned because I have already completed all my tasks as NREB chairman. I originally committed only 1 year but I have stayed in this position for at least 18 months already.”
Layug, according to Cusi, cited health reason for his resignation that takes effect on May 2.
He joined NREB in January 2017.
“I haven’t talked to him,” Cusi said when asked if Layug was interested to join the DOE.
Layug did not reply when sought for comment.
Cusi said there are recommendations as to the next NREB chief, but he kept mum, saying any appointments would have to be announced by Malacañang.
Layug’s resignation, Cusi added, “will not delay any work because NREB is just an advisory body and not a line agency.”
Layug is also a member of the transition committee of the Philippine Electricity Market Corp., the market operator arm of the Wholesale Electricity Spot Market.
Prior to his government service term at NREB, Layug was formerly a DOE undersecretary.

No comments:

Post a Comment